Rotary Evaporators are a staple in a working laboratory, popular in the production of pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals or for any process where reducing solvent volume and recovery is necessary. Rotary evaporators reduce the volume of a solvent by distributing and rotating it into a thin film across the interior of a vessel (spinning flask) at elevated temperatures and under vacuum.
Turnkey Systems = Proven Performance
Benchtop, 5L Processing:
- HBX GREEN Package – A reliable, cost effective workhorse with valve driven vacuum control.
- HBX Platinum Package – Offers the ultimate in vacuum control with a variable speed vacuum pump.
Industrial, 20 Liter Processing:
- Hei-VAP Industrial S with A1C Glassware – 1ph German Chiller – Largest condenser, more powerful chiller. This package is Heidolphs’ top of the line evaporator.
- Hei-VAP Industrial S with A1C Glassware – 3ph German Chiller – Heidolph’s most efficient turnkey system for powerful evaporation or vacuum distillation.
- Distimatic – Evaporate large quantities continuously/automatically.
Shopping for a Rotary Evaporator? Complete High Quality Systems Save Time and Money
Cascade sells complete Heidolph rotary evaporation systems with high quality components that are purpose-built for laboratory environments. Rotary evaporators are systems made up of key components (glass surface area, vacuum pump, vacuum control, chiller) that can make or break overall system performance and rates of evaporation and recovery. For this reason it is important to make sure that all the key components of your rotary evaporation system contribute to overall performance, as an underperforming part can detract from the system. Aside from spare parts, Cascade Sciences does not sell the key components of a rotary evaporation system separately, but rather sells them as a complete package to ensure that all parts contribute to high system performance.
Cascade partners with Heidolph because there are key differences between Heidolph and less expensive rotary evaporators. Cascade is proud to be the West Coast’s stocking Heidolph distributor. We offer complete, tested systems that include top-of-the-line parts that save you time and money with efficient evaporation times, less ongoing maintenance, and less time spent tuning systems.
Because vacuum control is a key component for efficient rotary evaporation, Cascade’s complete rotary evaporation systems maintain vacuum control automatically, ensuring “walk away” distillation. As a result vacuum levels do not need to be manually controlled and consistently monitored. This saves man-hours and ensures efficient solvent recovery.
In addition to maintaining vacuum control, Cascade’s rotary evaporation packages have less down time. In less expensive systems, the motors that spin the flasks can run hot and overheat. When this happens, processing must stop until the motor cools down. Thin, unbalanced glass can easily break, contributing to consumables costs. Cascade’s packages include top-of-the-line motors and thick, evenly balanced glass to ensure your system keeps running smoothly.
All Heidolph systems sold by Cascade come with a 3 year warranty and an approximate 10 year lifespan.
Heidolph Comes Certified
Heidolph rotary evaporators are also UL Listed. This certification is a requirement by many municipalities. Heidolph’s manufacturing facility is also certified to ISO Certificate 9001:2015
Certificate Number 2016-12-21-E486210
UL 61010-1 2nd Edition, 2013-07
CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 61010-1 2nd Edition 2008 -10
IEC 61010-2-010:2003(ed.2) Part 2-010; Particular requirements for laboratory equipment for heating materials
CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 61010-2-010-04 Part 2-010 Particular requirement for laboratory equipment for heating material
To protect your heating bath against short-circuits and systematic corrosion, the cable coupling complies with the high ingress protection class IP67
Best in class – 3 Year Warranty
Expect low cost of ownership and a lifespan of 10 -15 years
Example Of The Rotary Evaporation Process
Here is a general example of a rotary evaporation process. Specific temperature and pressure levels are for illustrative purposes and are not application specific.
- Set the hot water bath to 60°C
- The chiller should be set to approximately -10°C
- Establish a vacuum pressure reading of about 1 bar (100mbar)
- These parameters will often take time to stabilize and come up to temperature or pressure.
- Activate the rotor. It should spin fast enough to create an even coating on the inner surface of the flask. 80 RPM is a popular setting for rotation speed.
- Loosen the stopcock valve to allow solution to be drawn up and into the evaporation flask, when you have reached an appropriate level (not full), close the stopcock valve.
- As condensation forms on the condenser coils, solvent is beginning to be removed from the evaporation flask.
- Pay attention to solution viscosity and drip rate. A good rule of thumb is 10 liters of solution will take approx. 1 hour. Over an eight hour period, more than 100 liters is easily evaporated.
Have questions? Call 503-847-9047 for rotary evaporation expertise.
Contact us for expert direction on selecting your rotary evaporation packages by dialing extension #1.
No products were found matching your selection.